Office of The Town Clerk
Kathleen A. Curran, Town Clerk
600 Chief Justice Cushing Way
Scituate, MA 02066
Phone: (781) 545-8743
Fax: (781) 545-8704
Duties & Responsibilities
- Conducts the annual town census.
- Prepares the street list of residents and the school list.
- Furnishes the jury list to the Office of the Jury Commissioner.
- Oversees polling places, election officers, and the general conduct of all elections.
- Directs preparation of ballots, polling places, voting equipment and voting lists.
- Administers campaign finance laws.
- Certifies nomination papers and initiative petitions.
- Serves on the local Board of Registrars.
- Supervises voter registration and absentee ballots.
- Prepares, records and reports official election results to the Secretary of State of the Commonwealth.
- Issues state licenses and permits, including:
- Marriage licenses
- Permits for raffles and bazaars
Issues local licenses, permits, and certificates as mandated by statute or bylaw, which include:
- Business certificates
- Clam Licenses
- Dog Licenses
- Fuel storage permits
Local Boards and Committees:
- Administers the oath of office to all elected and appointed members of local boards and committees.
- Ensures that all elected and appointed officials are informed in writing of the State's Open Meeting and Conflict of Interest Laws.
- Posts meetings notices of all government bodies.
Official Decisions and Duties:
Records and certifies all official actions of the Town, including:
Town Meeting legislation and appropriations
Planning Board and Zoning Board decisions
Certifies all notes for borrowing.
As the official Keeper of the Records for the Town of Scituate the Town Clerk is the keeper of the Town Seal.
- Provides access to public records in compliance with State Public Records Law, corresponding regulations and Town Bylaws.
- Certifies copies of all town records.
- Records and preserves original birth, marriage, and death records, providing the basis for the Commonwealth's central vital registration system.
- Provides certified copies of vital records and conducts or assists with genealogical research for members of the public.
- Is responsible for maintenance, disposition, and preservation of municipal archival records and materials.
- Maintains records of adopted municipal codes, general bylaws and zoning bylaws, resignations, appointments, petitions, publications, budgets, election results and town meeting minutes and financial statements.
- Submits general bylaws and zoning bylaws to Attorney General for approval.
- Maintains the Annual List of Residents.