CATHERINE MCGOWAN SENIOR CENTER
27 BROOK STREET
SCITUATE, MA 02066
Telephone number: 781-545-8722
- OUTREACH PROGRAM
Outreach responds confidentially to calls for assistance from seniors via telephone and home visits. Outreach can provide a needs assessment and referral to appropriate agencies for any Scituate resident over age 60 and is a link to community resources, elder needs and issues . Our services include:
- Home/Site Visits
- Information and Referral to home care services, financial assistance programs, housing options, handyman help, etc.
- Advocacy and Support
- Friendly Visitor program
- Assist with Applications for Fuel Assistance, Medicaid, Senior Pharmacy Program, Food Stamps, Senior Housing
- SHINE (Health Insurance Counseling)
Our daily van provides rides for medical appointments in Scituate and Cohasset; to the Senior Center and other locations for programs; the SSES Nutrition Site and Thursday Lunch Program, beauty salons and harbor shopping. This service is available Monday - Friday, 8:30 am to 2:30 pm. Call 781-545-8722 to arrange at least 72 hours in advance. SCOA vans accommodate wheelchairs and have lifts for those unable to negotiate van steps; escorts may be required for some transportation needs.
- Our Medical Connection van runs on Tuesday for medical appointments out of town.
- Volunteer drivers are available to transport seniors to some out-of-town medical appointments.
- The Scituate LINK Program provides transportation for MBTA-eligible special van users.
- The Vision Support Group van provides transportation for members to attend the monthly support group meetings in Hingham.
- Call 781-545-8722 for any of the above transportation services at least 72 hours in advance.
- South Shore Hospital Courtesy Coach is available for Scituate residents who have medical appointments at the hospital in Weymouth on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9-3. Advance notice required; call the Courtesy Coach at 781-340-4350.
- CAREGIVER SUPPORT PROGRAM
- Family/Friend Caregiver Support Group
- Caregivers of Mid-Stage Alzheimer’s Support Group
- Individual consultation for family caregivers
- INFORMATION AND EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS
- Discussion Group
- Walking Club
- Financial Planning
- Computer Education
- Badminton: evenings 6 – 8 pm, year-round
- Softball: Sundays and Wednesdays, May through October in Scituate
- Softball Winter League: January through May at Bridgewater Sports Complex
- Golf: Tuesdays at Widow's Walk May through October
- Art Classes
- Arthritis Exercise Classes
- Bridge Lessons
- Country and Western Dancing
- Discussion Group
- Drop-in Knitting
- 859 Men’s Breakfast
- Foxwoods Trips
- Garden Club workshops
- Memoir Writing Group
- Tai Chi
- Tuesdays with Chris – stretching and lively exercise class
- Walking Club
SENIOR HAPPENINGS NEWSLETTER
A bimonthly newsletter providing current information on Senior Center programs and elderly related issues.
We provide van transportation to the following programs sponsored by other agencies/organizations:
The monthly Vision Support Group at Hingham COA.
- South Shore Elder Services’ Nutrition Site Program at the Harbor Methodist Church, First Parish Road in Scituate. This program runs on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. SSES also offers Meals on Wheels which provides a main meal to homebound persons 60 years of age or older who are unable to prepare meals and who are unable to attend the SSES Nutrition Site. For information on the SSES Nutrition Program, please call 781-545-5885 or 781-848-3910.
- The Thursday Lunch Program prepared by volunteers at the First Trinitarian Congregational Church at 381 Country Way in Scituate.
Council on Aging