Frequently Asked Questions
TOPIC: Licences, Certificates and Stickers
Where do I get a copy of my Birth Certificate?
If you were born in Scituate or your parents were residents of Scituate at the time of your birth, you may obtain your birth certificate from the Town Clerk's Office during regular business hours. All Birth Certificates are public record unless the parents of the child were not married at the time of the child's birth. You will need the following information in order to request the certificate:
- Full name and date of birth.
- Identification, only if your parents were not married at the time of your birth.
- $10.00 fee.
You may also obtain a copy of a birth certificate from the State's Department of Vital Statistics at:
Registry of Vital Records
Department of Public Health
150 Mount Vernon Street
Dorchester, MA 02125-3105
How do I apply for a Marriage License?
You must come in together with your intended spouse with the proper identification to the Town Clerk's Office during regular business hours. The cost for a marriage license is $20.00. You do not need to be a resident of the town to apply for a marriage license. If one or both of the applicants are under 18 years of age you must obtain a court order (permission to marry) from the courts. Your license will be issued three days after the day you apply, at which point, either applicant can come and pick up the license at the Clerk's Office during regular business hours. After the license is issued it is valid for sixty days from when the applicants applied and may be used in any Massachusetts city or town. However, it is not valid outside of the state.
How do I get a copy of my Marriage License?
Assuming the license was issued by the Scituate Town Clerk's Office, you may request a copy during regular business hours or by mail. Please send a self-addressed stamped envelope along with your request. The cost for a copy is $10.00.
How do I license my dog?
The Town of Scituate By-Laws, Section 30400, mandates the yearly licensing of all dogs. Every dog age 6 months or older must be licensed by July 1st each year. Licensing is available at the Town Clerk's Office during regular business hours. You will need the following to apply for a dog license.
- A completed application form.
- Copy of rabies certificate and copy of neutering/spaying certificate.
- Fee: Male/Female $15 each dog or Neutered/Spayed $10 each dog.
How do I apply for a Business Certificate (DBA)?
Any person, partnership, or corporation conducting business in Scituate under a name other than their own or corporate name must file a Business Certificate. You will need the following to apply for a certificate:
- A completed business certificate form.
- Fee of $30.00.
The certificate will need to be renewed every four years. If the business is discontinued, the Town Clerk's office must be notified. There is a $10.00 discontinuance fee.
Will I get a Tax I.D. number when I file a Business Certificate?
No, the Tax Identification number comes from the Internal Revenue Service. You can obtain an Employer Identification number through a call to the IRS at 1-800-829-4933.
How do I get a Scituate beach sticker?
The cost of a beach sticker for Scituate residents is $35.00. You will need your registration and lease agreement (if your car is leased). You may purchase a beach sticker in one of three ways:
- On-Line. On-line payment for stickers will be available. Stickers will be mailed within a few days of receipt. PAY ONLINE Go to Transactions > "Other".
- Mail in. Mail-in forms will be available for download on the Town's website (Mail-In Form), Forms will also be included in the April-June water bill. mailings. The cost is $35.00 plus a self-addressed stamped envelope.
- In-Person. Stickers may be purchased in person at Town Hall during the following hours only: Tuesday evenings between 4:00 P.M. and 7:00 P.M. and Thursday mornings between 9:00 A.M. and 12:00 noon.
Can a non-resident of Scituate purchase a beach sticker?
300 Non-Resident Stickers will be sold for $200.00 each year on a first-come, first-served basis. Non-Resident stickers must be obtained in person. You will need to bring your registration with you.